Main > Housing > Advent House
Founded in 1980, Advent House was originally established to provide transitional housing for homeless people. Advent House was the first shelter in Rhode Island. Since then, Advent House has undergone significant growth for the benefit of those we serve. This growth has occurred in five phases.
With this addition, the total number of units offered through Advent House was as follows:
- * First Phase - 1980
- The initial services of Advent House were to provide short-term emergency shelter and meals for up to ten homeless men per night.
* Second Phase - 1984
- A second building was acquired and renovated for the housing of both men and women in an 18-month transitional program.
* Third Phase - 1993
- Linwood Court, the third building acquired and renovated, was large enough to provide three levels of housing:
This program was expanded to include a comprehensive array of supportive and educational services.
* Fourth Phase - 1994
- The fourth building, Advent House II, has 30 single room occupancy units (SRO).
* Fifth Phase - 1998
- The fifth building provided 57 single-room occupancy (57) units.
- 64 Single Room Occupancy (SRO)
- 2 Two Bedroom
- 6 Double Room Occupancy (DRO)
- 2 Three Bedroom
* Sixth Phase - 1999
The fifth building acquired was a three-story apartment building to be
used for the Family Reunification Program.
* Seventh Phase - 2001-2002
The sixth and seventh buildings acquired are three-story apartment
buildings to be used for the Family Reunification Program.
* Eighth Phase - 2002-2003
The eighth building is a two unit, three-bedroom apartment building to be used for the Family Reunification Program.
*Ninth Phase - 2003
The ninth building is a two unit, three-bedroom apartment building.
*2003 - Present
Our objective is to add an additional two/three bedroom two/three unit
apartment building to our inventory each year.
With this addition, the total number of units offered through Advent House will be as follows:
- 70 Single-Room Occupancy (SRO) Units (Linwood Court, Advent II)
- 57 Single-Room Apartments (Advent/Gemini Apartments)
- 11 Three-Bedroom Apartments
- 2 Two-Bedroom Apartments